Monday, June 3, 2013

Food Diary of the Mostly Dead


When the weird virus that got me this spring was trying to off me, what I ate was done with very little thought. I was on a HORRIBLE antibiotic that, while it cheerfully saved my life, altered the way things tasted to me. My daily eating process went like this:
some of the watermelon was
poached off this plate by a
6 yr old klingon.

“Does it taste good?”
“Yes.”
“Ok. I will eat”

Or

“Does it taste good?”
“No... then I don’t need to eat today”

Good thing that came of this: Splenda now tastes like acid to me. I have a giant pack of packets going un-used, if you live near by, holler. You’re welcome to them... Also, I now like my coffee black. Weird. I mean, I can drink it with creamer, but I can also enjoy it black.

Bad thing: I stopped eating my typical "healthy" diet with a salad a day, and didn't even realize it.

So NOW:  what am I eating? What am I avoiding?

If it comes in a package, I’m probably not eating it.
If it can spoil in 3-4 days, I’m probably eating it.

Here’s my food log for a typical day. I didn’t give up lentils... but I had to return to meat. I have completely given up milk, cheese, yogurt (~sniff~) , ice cream, etc. My dietician says this is a temporary solution, we will be tailoring the protein needs to my body.

Breakfast – 2 oz protein, 1 fruit, 1 starch
another favorite - white fish,
brown rice, greens tossed with
jalepeno infused cucumbers
2 poached eggs
½ cup cooked oatmeal (about ¾ of a serving)
½ banana
Snack – 2 oz protein, 1 fruit
2 oz Boars Head Roast Beef, or left over Chicken, etc.
1 c. watermelon
Lunch – 4 oz protein, 1 starch, 2 fats, unlimited vegs
Salad with 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 oz turkey, 1 Tbl dressing, 1/8 avocado, chopped red/green/yellow peppers, 4tbl Hummus
Snack - 2 oz protein, 1 fruit
Small Apple
1.5 Tbl Peanut Butter (*note, for many people pb is counted as a fat)
Dinner - 4 oz protein, 1 starch, 2 fats, unlimited vegs
4 oz Grilled Chicken breast*
½ c. Quinoa
Roasted summer squash mix (*olive oil used in cooking)

No comments: