Monday, March 26, 2012

oh ~freaking~ yeah

Yesterday I was at a Starbucks for Study Group.

This isn't an unusual event for me.  I spend a lot of time in Starbucks these days.... in all honesty, I've consumed more Starbucks in the last 4 weeks than I've consumed in the last 4 years.

I was sitting there after the books had been stowed and the laptops had been tucked away, and I had a moment where I felt ... playful.  Yes.  Playful is the only word I can use.  Just like the me I used to be....  I used to be playful all the time.  It's one of the FISH principals that I connected to and was unable to execute on a daily basis.  Playing helps me keep a grip on what's important, and what's not.

Enjoying life is important, even when life circumstances aren't always enjoyable.  Even if the moment of play is only a blink in time, at least it was there.  Yesterday evening as I was dicing onions to go into my dinner, a little smile tugged on my mouth.

I couldn't contain it.  The more I tried to fight it, the more I couldn't resist.  One word of play made me smile hours later.

I'm out the door now.  Headed to my clinical rotation.  It's a depressing unit I'm assigned to...  don't get me wrong, I like the patients, but it's not a place I would choose to work if I had a choice.  However, I think back to that ~play~ on words yesterday and smile...    I can choose to be depressed and angry by this environment, or I can choose my reactions.

I think I'll go play for a bit.



5 comments:

Momshomerun said...

Feeling playful… I remember that.

Anonymous said...

What a positive post! You can choose how you react to things, although I forget about that too - given my role as chief disciplinarian in our house. I'll bet your smile was infectious.

bobbi said...

Something I try to remind my kids often. We have no control over what happens to us, only how we react.

Glad you are feeling like sminling - makes me happy :)

jamie@sweatyhugs said...

loved this post! such a great reminder. :)

Char said...

Playful is good. Indulge your inner child - it'll make life a lot more happy.