Saturday, November 8, 2008

A post for mothers of daughters

I was sitting with C last night in her room.  We were playing and cleaning up, choosing 5 items to give to Goodwill, brushing out her doll's hair, and looking at the American Girl Doll Catalog.

For those of you who are novices, American Girl Dolls are the most classy beautiful toys that a girl can play with, and they encourage conservative clothing (aka ANTI BARBIE), active lifestyles and reading.  What more could a mother want?  Exactly.  So the dolls are featured as historical girls.  They have a girl from 1774, another from 1904, another from 1944, etc.  About maybe 12 dolls in all...  I didn't count.  The Tag Line on the first page of the catalog reads, "What was it like to grow up in her day?"  So, I read that line, turn the page, and LOW and behold- the doll I'm looking at is from the year 1974.

What?  What was it like to grow up in her day?  Like it's a big mystery or something.  I'm sorry, but a girl can just call her aunt or ask her mother if she wants to know what it was like to grow up in the 70's.  I mean, I get the tag line on the girl from 1864.  You can't really just ask, and most history books aren't going to be geared toward the 8-10 year old girl.  But come on, 1974? 

Holy snap.  I'm showing my age again, aren't I?

2 comments:

PinkAsphaltMama said...

Wow! I have been fascinated enough at the poor quality of the American Girls marketing database, as my house with two boys continues to get the AG catalog on a regular basis. And I never made the connection with the 1974 doll, either. Wow. Guess I AM old, after all!

Courtney said...

That's too funny! G, can you tell me what it was like? ;)