Saturday, June 20, 2009

To Camp

I'm packing tonight to send my oldest child off for a week in the woods.  A week.  Without me.  Without H, or any other family member.  2 hours away.

She's not a homesick kid, so I'm not worried about that.  Maybe I should be worried about that, but I don't have time to worry about that on top of worrying about lyme disease, west nile virus, drowning, her getting lost in the Dismal Swamp or falling into a ravine while riding a horse when the horse rears and flips over (something I've actually SEEN at this very same camp in the early 90's, amazingly the rider and horse both walked away from the accident - BUT STILL!!!).

And then I think, this is one week of camp.  99.9% of kids who go to camp come back with great stories, leadership experience, a new level of confidence, independence and some bug bites.  I just need to chill OUT.  Whew.  Breathe.

No comments: