Friday, June 3, 2011

Lessons and Apologies

First off, I think it's important to remember that the written word doesn't always convey the way you think it does... for example:


Beyond the english lesson, there is something else we should consider seriously...

We've established that runners are weird.

I am a runner.

So by definition, I am weird.

I am also a runner who blogs.

Sadly, this does not make me a writer by definition.

I like to write.  I do.  It usually makes me happy.  Because for the most part I am honest, and generally in life I find that if you're honest with yourself, that you can be proud of what you've published on the blog.  Writing this blog is an escape.

And, yes, I have seen my name in print.  But that also doesn't make me a writer.  Thus, the name in print was in small print, not big print.

Still... despite the fact that some editor somewhere was so desperate for a piece about running that he published me...  I'm not always perfectly articulate in my communication attempts...

i.e....

Sometimes my message gets lost.

..."So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads." 
— Dr. Seuss

When I write on this blog, I write, generally, for my own entertainment.

If you find it entertaining, great.  Bonus.  Go me.

I write in a self depreciating style that is aimed at me.  If there is fun to be made, or mocking to be done ~ chances are better than good that the person I'm mocking is me.

Unless I'm mocking a politician.  Then all bets are off.

So let me explain.  When I talk about runners on this blog, I mean every runner.

fast, slow.  curvy, slight.  short, tall.  men, women.  coaches, athletes, volunteers, social elites, and kara.  We're runners.  All worthy of respect.

...“A person's a person, no matter how small.”
— Dr. Seuss

Those of us who are obsessed passionate give our best effort.

Effort is not measured in speed.

It's measured in ... well... I'm not sure how YOU measure effort.

I think it's probably measured in heart.

You know?  Heart.

Heart, as I see it, is balanced neatly somewhere along the lines of LOVE and COURAGE and SPIRIT.

It is the CORE.  The heart is MOST important or VITAL PART.

This is why I do this.  This has NOTHING to do with being first. or last.  This is about knowing myself and doing what I do because I love it.

For me, marathoning has less to do with natural ability, and more to do with love, drive, passion and courage, than any thing else I have ever done in my life.

So for me to say that I would rather not be the sweeper, was not a cut aimed at the runner who is the last athlete participant to finish the MTT route.  This isn't about anyone else.

Yesterday's post was not about PACE.
It was not about being LAST.
Or being FAST.

It was also not CLEAR.

If you read yesterdays post and thought that I was judging, or thought that I was making some kind of comment on speed in relationship to worth, I'm terribly sorry that that is what you read.  It is certainly not the message I was intending.

It was a post about me.

It was a post about friendships and the kind of friend who feels she can say anything to you, even if it comes out weird, because she knows you know what she means.  She's a runner.  Runners are weird, so by definition...

It was a post about the kind of friend who knows when to stick by your side and run your pace offering support, when to be the rabbit for the chase, and, finally, the kind of friend who knows that when you claim parcheesi, she is free to run ahead and pick off the red shirts as she sees fit.

It was a post about mental strategy and knowing yourself.  Or, specifically, myself.

It was a post about following my gut instinct and reacting appropriately.


...“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own.  And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go.”
— Dr. Seuss

9 comments:

Jen said...

I GOT IT yesterday. You are all good girl!

fancy nancy said...

Ok I'm totally stealing the last quote for my students!! You're good!!

RunHapi13 said...

I knew exactly what you meant. About you. And I loved the reference to 3L, I get it..ahem, MCM Maggie is my 3L. Runners ARE weird. But some people don't always "get" other people. That's what makes the world go 'round.
Write on dear weird runner bloggy friend. I love to read what you publish. <3

Anne said...

Just catching up...first, I was very moved by your post about your daughter. You are amazing parents and she sounds like a wonderful little girl. I love her comment about the race.

Second, I totally got it...

I always enjoy your running style.

Jodi H said...

I totally got your post yesterday. I feel you. Great quotes in your post today! Thanks!!

jamie@sweatyhugs said...

I'm not even a longtime reader/follower here and I totally GOT it. ;)

Katye said...

I totally got it. And I think this post was so well written proving yet again that you are in fact a very talented writer! witty and intelligent. Great combo!

Mom's Home Run said...

Right, I'm going to run along to the post you're referring too! See you again in a minute.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Okay, so I'm just coming back from a few days of being unplugged, and I'm catching up on what I missed on my favorite blogs.

LOVED your post about your daughter.

And I totally got the post this one is referring to.