Friday, December 2, 2011

An Open Letter to my 10K PR

Dear 10K PR,

I know, you're feeling neglected.  The last time I talked about you in a positive way was March of 2010.  And it wasn't even a big brag.  It was a "1 second PR because the Witch Dr said I wasn't allowed to run faster than that."

Most of the time I start out with, "10K PR is kinda old...", or, "well, 10K PR is 54:54, but I haven't run one in a while....".  I'm sorry for that 10K PR.  I really am.

It's not that I love 8K PR more than I love you.

Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10K
Fast, flat, fun... come run it with me!
It's just... that... I love 8K PR more than I love you.

You're a little long in the tooth.  (gasp)

And that's fixable.  I know exactly what I need to do.  I have a race all picked out.  I need to train for a race specific goal.  I need to let the long slow distances of the marathon go for a while and focus on shorter distances.

Not because they're easier.

They're not.  Truly, each race holds its own challenges.  A marathon is freaking hard.  Well, someone's going to have a stroke when I say this but, in my opinion, a 5K deserves respect too.  And as such, so does a 10K.  So from now until April I'm going to focus on you 10K PR.  Because you deserve my attention.

You are worthy.

I know what needs to be done.  And I know where my weakness lies.  Accountability with speed work.  So knowing this, I signed up for the A10K training team with RRRC.

I remember when all I wanted was to finish a 10K without dying.
(hey, some goals are loftier than others)
I remember when all I wanted was to finish a 10K in less than an hour.
(and not have my running partner go into labor on the course)
I remember when all I wanted was to finish a 10K in less than 55 minutes.
(and finished that race in 54:54)
....today. All I want is to just run as hard and well as I can at the 10K distance.
(Well that's a little vague).  

10K PR, you and me, we're going places together.

regards,
gba_gf

11 comments:

MCM Mama said...

You know you are going to kick that old 10k PR to the curb, right? Rock on, GBA_GF!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Poor 10K... it has no idea what's about to hit it.

carrie said...

Keep us posted I am excited to follow your 10K training. You're gonna flip your PR the bird!

Allison said...

I can't wait to see how fast you can go! I've never really focused on a 10k either, except back when it seemed like such a long way to run and my goal was to finish!

bobbi said...

I heart the 10k....

Can't wait to see you beat the crap out of it!

Unknown said...

Please put some of your mental toughness in the mail and send it to me in Oregon. I want a 5k PR in a few weeks. Mel told me, "5k PRs hurt". Bring on the pain.

That April 10k is your beyotch.

dawn @ running the dawn said...

Ugh. I need this. If I ever want to actually have PRs that I'm proud of I need to start giving them the respect they deserve.....sigh....

Jenny said...

I was totally there last year with just wanting to finish the 10k and not die! I am starting to think about my goal time for the Monument Avenue 10k as well! And, it is soooo different than the marathon.

Canuck Mom said...

You will totally kick some serious a** on the 10k. Your past 10k is very scared right now.

Jessica (Pace of Me) said...

ahhhh - i feel the same way about my 10k PR! i want to find one maybe this spring to run.
i think all race distances are tough in their own right. the 5k really kicks my butt, and the 10k does too. you will do awesome!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

That 10k PR should be afraid because you are so gonna leave him in the dust. But it is nice to stop and remember how he was a stepping stone to a new sleeker 10k PR!