Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lake Placid Ironman SPECTATOR recap


One of my best GBA girlfriends is amazing. Last year she texted me, "I signed up for Lake Placid". As the weeks of training passed, I realized that I really really wanted to be there for her. I mean, not that I could actually *do* anything for her, but I wanted to be there anyway. So I verbalized my wish to the universe...
and the most amazing series of events occurred...
and the next thing I knew...

I went to Lake Placid to watch Pixie Green take on an Ironman. 

 A few random thoughts from the day. It was a long day, but it was worth every minute. Also, I'm exhausted, so this is a bit "blunt", rather than poetic.

1)   Your swimmer will have the swim of their life. Plan for them to be finished 10 minutes faster than they say, and position yourself accordingly.
2)   Ok, so they’re off onto the bike... you’re going to be here a while. There’s a coffee shop up the hill that is locally owned. Avoid the Chain (even though I love it) and grab some local coffee instead.
3)   The cell service is spotty at best. Plan to be out of contact with the “world” for much of the day.
4)   Ironman splits are VERY slow to load. Don’t count on using them to track your IronPeep.
5)   Speaking of splits... The first Lake Placid bike split is blisteringly fast compared to the second half of the loop. The cyclist you love could average 18.9 mph on the first split, and 14 mph on the second. Don’t panic. They’re fine.
6)   The “hot Corner” is a hairpin turn on Cummings Road through the town of Placid. GREAT place to watch the cyclists. They have to slow down to make the turn, so you can see them as they roll through.
7)   There’s a sandwich shop that is down on Main Street called Big Mountain Deli & Crepery – they boast 46 sandwiches and crepes. Deliciousness. The line will be long. It will be worth it.
8)   Wear good shoes.
lunch break
9)   The finish-line...  We got right down on top of the finishline. People say it can't be done. It can. It just takes patience and pre-planning. I recommend sitting on the hill and watching people finish until you think your person is getting close. Then look somewhere on the fence where the crowd is only 1 deep. We moved down to the chute to spectate our finishers and after a little time, we were able to get right up on the fence-line by crossing the “track” and going to the inside. Once we were there, we were perfectly positioned to spectate folks as they finished, in live action, and on the “jumbo-tron”.
10)   I had a sign for my finisher, Pixie.... The sign was better seen out on the course.  By the time the crowds press you into the fencing, the signs are a bit hard to wrangle.


It was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in my life. I am looking forward to going back to spectate again, or even, partake in 140.6 of my own.


finish-line! So proud of you Pixie!!!!
 also, I fully admit...

I was glad to be there for you Pixie.
I cried when I saw this posted on my facebook page with the caption “Found this morning, soaked from the early morning down pour! My pixie twin was here in full force!” 

5 comments:

Rene' said...

Awesome!

Rene' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

The pride on your face at the finish line photo is so obvious. You're a helluva friend, G!

Jen Feeny said...

Love it, tips like these are really great for future spectators to stumble upon! Love the pics, you are a super spectator!

bobbi said...

I love this! And love love that you got to be there and spectate for her :)