Monday, September 26, 2011

20 Miles To NoWhere

Good Morning!  Full of
optimism and breakfast
as I set forth.
I always wonder about running a 20 miler.  If I ran 20 miles straight in a row, I could run from my house... to the city of Richmond.. to the OTHER SIDE of the city... yeah.  20 miles is a long way.  Of course, running 20 miles straight would entail a pick up car on the other end and someone willing to carry lots and lots of water.  I don't have a pick up car, nor am I interested in carrying lots and lots of water.

Sunday morning when I got up it was really dark.  Way darker than it normally is at this time of day.  Heavy cloud cover was holding the sun in check.  Which was a good thing, because it was 100% humidity at the start of the run.  Yes, 100%.  We all looked liked we'd doused ourselves in a mid-run shower before we got to the first SAG (SAG's are "Support & Gear"... aka. "H2O/Gummy Bear stops" supplied by Sportsbackers MTT to us, MTT Participants.  We like SAGS.  Todays SAGS were manned by Pants Guy, Ms Pants Guy, & Super Fast Judith - which made them extra nice).

VWB, g., Young, Mustang, & T
With some positive words, I set forth on a 20 mile loop of Richmond, starting deep in the city and running out to UofR... and back again but on different roads.  It was a very pretty run.  It was a pretty hilly run.  It was a hilly MTT run... with coaches and SAGS and Posse and goodness and fun.  I think with a positive outlook, anything is possible.  And with a Posse like mine backed by the power of MTT, well... anything is possible.

A quick shout out - Young & VWB nailed their first 20 miler EVER!!!  And Sally, T & I ran well...

Well, OK.  When we were running, we were running well.

Of course... there's running, and then there's running.  T ran into a GI issue, so I did some waiting around.  Which was fine with me.  We're partners, we don't bail on each other when things get ugly.

Over all, compared to 20 milers of days gone by, it was a relative non-event.  No CPR crisis to report.  No lost panties.  No "I can't run another step" moments.  No Will Ferrel.  A slight stomach issue on my part, but I was trying a new nutrition strategy today, so part of me was prepared for that.  T might have a different opinion on all this, but, for me... it wasn't a bad run with exception to that nasty upper ab/stomach cramp I had at mile 15ish.

I'm already looking forward to my next 20 miler.  (sick, sick, sick, I know).  Part of the reason is that I need mental help.  NO, Ok, not really.  I am looking forward to trying my NEXT nutrition strategy.  Today I had a realization... one of those light bulb AHA moments.  So let's say that I am kinda looking forward to seeing if it works.


8 comments:

fancy nancy said...

You nailed it! Great job getting it done...what a great group of ladies to do it with! I did just one 20 miler when I was in marathon training. I ended up having a panic attack and didn't finish it (too stressed clearly). In hindsight I should have ran another. Good luck on the next one!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Nice job getting through that 20 together. How nice to have such a great running community to rely on.

Jodi H said...

Nice job on that 20! Glad you had your posse with you! I hope you are successful in figuring out your nutrition! I finally figured mine out after my last two long runs! Keep up the great work! Fun pictures as always!!

Allison said...

Sounds like a great run! I did my first 20 of this cycle on Saturday too. Strangely I am looking forward to the rest of them. There's just something so satisfying about completing 20. :)

Anonymous said...

Wooo!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

my favorite thing: when i'm driving on a highway and i see a sign that says there's 20 miles to the next city, i try to take it all in. all 20 miles. those are the times that i realize how crazy i am.

great job with your 20! and yes, it is sick that you can't wait til the next one :) now i'm all curious about your different nutrition experiments...

Jen said...

Next 20... hoping I am a part of it!

Meredith said...

Way to rock your 20!! I recently drove from my house to the other side of the county and, like I do most of the time, I clocked it to see how far it was. Only 10 miles. Sick enough, I found myself wishing I was trained for 20 and that I had someone else who might want to run 20 with me. There's something that sounds so fun in saying I ran from one side of the county to the other... Sick to some, fun to me! Kinda like you looking forward to your next 20 :)