Wednesday, January 9, 2013

because it sounded fun

I was talking about my weekend adventures and I got a good chuckle out of Hot Ironguy's response to my Sunday mileage:

"13 in the morning, and then another 31 in the afternoon?! WOW. What are you training for?"

It made me think...
What am I training for that required so much endurance this weekend...?
um, nothing.

I did it because it sounded like fun.

And it was fun. mostly.

To clarify:
The running was not fun. Yep, I said it. I am training for a (race) and the running was miserable. I felt sluggish and off pace. Oh wait, I was sluggish and off pace. 

The "other stuff" I did this weekend, i.e. the Kona adventures on Buttermilk & Belle Isle, and the Trek adventures on the roads that seemed to cover half of Virginia... well, they were fun.

When I was on the Kona, I felt free. I could do whatever I was capable of, and while that didn't exceed anyone's expectations, I knew there would be no self censure to come with the final results. Whatever speed I did would be enough, and besides, I expect to get dropped on the more technical aspects of the trail. After all, I've only ridden her a handful of times.

As for the Trek... well, that was the first time I've been on the road since Thanksgiving. I almost felt I could do no wrong. almost.

When I was on a bike, I was completely relaxed and enjoying the moment.
When I was on a run, I was not.
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

I am a runner... right?

I think I need to figure out where my head is at right now so that I can be ready for my spring race.  As long as I do the miles, my body will be ready. But my head needs to be here, or the miles are going to suck. a freaking lot.

I never used to struggle to have fun. It used to just happen. Whether I was alone or in a posse, I could find a way to savor the miles of my training plan. That fun was how I knew my place in the world as a galactically bada** runner.

I need to get back to my roots. I need to remember how to relax and just be. Of course, the more I think about it, the less it will happen. By the way, I suspect that's true of a lot of things in life.

This week I'm going to get out with a buddy of mine who does the "fun" part of running better than anyone I know. It'll be like running therapy for my running mojo.

~savor the run~

3 comments:

bobbi said...

I am glad you posted this - I've been wondering about you. All your biking has been WHHEEEEEEE and your running not so much.

Here's to you getting your savor back...

Unknown said...

So, your spring race might not be fun, but the weekend will be. I promise. Guaranteed.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.