Saturday, October 18, 2008

Rinse and Repeat

This post has nothing to do with shampoo.  Or conditioner.  But you know how the side of the bottle of shampoo gives a set of instructions and it never fails that it says, "rinse and repeat"? Yea, I always wondered if they meant "repeat RIGHT NOW if your hair isn't perfectly clean" or if they meant, "And tomorrow you should repeat because you hair will be dirty again."  Yea, these are the deep thoughts that haunt me day in and day out.

Rinse and Repeat.  Well, that's how my run today went.  I did it.  Technically it's done.  Now, I need to repeat.  

At the end of 11.9 miles I was so drained that I couldn't put one foot in front of the next.  I felt sick and washed out.  After the run I got back to my car and started to shiver.  By the time I got home I was almost in a state of shock and couldn't stop shaking.  Thank God it was time for B to have a nap, because I picked her up from her sitter, fed her lunch and put her down.  I took a hot shower and got in bed for an hour.  I could not move.  My body ached.  Like the flu.  Not "my leg muscles are sore", but "I am one giant weak sore muscle".  It was pitiful.  As a good friend of mine said a few weeks ago, I needed someone to say, "Poor poor g.".

This is so crazy, because at the end of 10.5 last week I felt champion.  Like I could have run... no, OK, maybe not "...could have run 5 more miles", but definitely I felt good enough to have run another mile w/o breaking down or anything.  Today I think I could have broken down if I had tried to go any further.  And even after my shower I felt washed out.  Not in a good way either.

Next week I'm going to repeat 12.  I have to.  HAVE TO.  Because I need to know mentally that I can accomplish 12 so I know that I can ROCK on 13.1m.  

Now, to my running partner.  You know those people who are lovely no matter the circumstances?  And they're never frazzled?  They always look beautiful?  Well CM is that way.  Today she ran 20.4 miles and at the end she looked as cool and lovely as ever... Sure, she looked tired, who wouldn't?  But lovely nonetheless.  So my mental image was that I looked OK.  I figured if she looked like that, I must look like that too.  Yea, so I got in my car, glanced in the rear view mirror.... and noticed that I had SALT ALL OVER MY FACE!!!  My eyes and mouth were rimmed in it.  I looked like a margarita.  And not in a drinkable way.  No wonder I felt so blah.  There was NO salt left in my body.  I guess all H needed was a shot of tequila and a lime, except that he's Not Home.  

He's Camping IN A TENT with the Cub Scouts.  I'll be thinking of him all night while I'm snuggled up in my toasty bed with Desi & Heidi (aka. Cujo and Fang).  More on that later I'm sure....  

2 comments:

PinkAsphaltMama said...

I have gotten hooked on the PowerBar people's electrolyte packets. They are like those little Crystal Light stick thingies, but they are electrolytes and they make ALL the difference for me. You must be a salty sweater!

To respond to your comment on our blog -- the other ladies are busy running the Nike Women's Marathon today. Well, based on what time it is right now, they darned well better be DONE by now, but the stupid Nike Marathon website seems to be DOA so I can't find anything out.

The early word from San Francisco is that the Expotique was sucky, the Marshall's rocked out (they flew to SF and went to MARSHALL'S???), and I'm dying to see the Tiffany finisher's necklace. If any of them did not make the cutoff and did not get the Tiffany necklace, I will personally kick their butts, bad knee and all.

Courtney said...

Oh G...you make me feel so good. I to looked in the mirror and about fell out. I'm very proud of you and I don't think I could have done those last couple of miles without you. Thanks!!!