aka - MRP.
Last year when I was "training" for my marathon, I took a very lazy attitude on preparing for "pace". I trained at the pace I felt like running at, as many miles as I could squeeze in each week. I thought I was doing well. Yea, about that. I somehow doubt that the 28 - 33 miles I was running each week was quite enough. You know when I noticed it? On my long runs every weekend. I didn't know what I was noticing though. I did 90% of my miles at a 10ish minute or so pace, and the other 10% were at an 11... or 1130... pace because I was falling apart at mile 17. I thought since I was training at a 10 minute pace that I would just race a ten minute pace for my marathon.
This year I'm training 90% of my miles at a 10:30ish (well, I tend to average a lot of miles at a 10:26)... and the other 10% at MRP.
But. What is my MRP? I can't seem to figure it out. On some days, I look at my "dream goal"and think, I am smoking crack if I think I can hold that for 26.2 miles. On other days, I look at the dream goal and think, sure, why the heck not? I can do that.
Today though, I really questioned what it is that holds me back from embracing my crazy goal and believing it's possible. I'm pretty fit. Who am I kidding? I'm probably in some of the better shape I've been in in my life. Which pace should I train at for my MRP? My crazy dream goal pace, or the pace I KNOW I can hold?
And here's what I've got to come to: Either I need to move the mental block aside and use it as a stepping stone, or I need to reconsider my dream goal. Being on the short side of scale, and being a former horseback rider, I'm used to stepping on a block to get on a horse.... to borrow a phrase from a coach I know - it's time to "cowboy up".