Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday Missive

Yesterday it was Sunday.  And I didn't run.  I had managed to fit in all my miles between Tuesday - Saturday last week by skipping my day off on Friday.  Uhg.  I know people all over the blogisphere run 5 days in a row all the time, but it's not my total favorite.  I can do it, but it's not my favorite.


So I don't have anything clever today, except that I thought I would share a play dough recipe that I LOVE to make for my kiddos.  It's cheap, easy, and frankly, it smells better than store bought play dough.  And, if they mix the colors, who cares?  It's easy to make a new batch.  I make about 1-2 batches per month, depending on the number of play dates we have over and how the color holds up.



Play Dough - my version is cheerfully stolen from my Preschool Handbook - worth the 10 minutes or so it takes to make it...
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
  • 1 packet of un sweetened Kool-aid, any flavor.  Orange, Grape and Cherry work the best.
  • Saucepan
  • 1 cup flour
Directions
  1. Boil water in a microwavable bowl, add Kool-aid and oil.
  2. Place Flour, Salt, Cream of Tarter in a dutch oven or other large pan
  3. Add water mixture.  Stir on low heat until consistency is good (about 1-3 minutes).  Remove from heat, and I like to knead it again when it's cool enough.
  4. Store in a Ziploc freezer bag.

Speaking of Kool-aid, don't forget to enter my 1000 Mile Neurotic Giveaway, here!

4 comments:

Rene' said...

i have never seen it with the kool aid for color. very, very cool!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Mmmmmm...sounds delicious! lol

Seriously, that's a cool nontoxic alternative. I'll have to remember this if I ever have kids!

Julie D. said...

definitely will use the play dough recipe! have a great week!

Chele said...

My mom made this for us when we were kids, I think she used food coloring or at the time she was into cakes so maybe cake icing color. We used to eat it all the time. I'm fairly sure there were no lingering effects......