Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Touring VA

Service Unavailable?  Sure, I get that when I go to use my cell phone, but when I'm logging into my blog?  Hmm.  So this post is a few days old because I'm struggling to squeak in here between unavailable-ness.  

This weekend my H and I went on a 12 hour date.  Yup, you read it right.  We rented a van with some other couples and rode up to Virginia Wine Country... er, that is to say, Charlottesville VA.  We toured some beautiful places and sampled some wine and cheese that made my heart sing.  It was a lovely day.  I would bore you all with the details, but I'll resist.  The theme of the day was that H & I lamented about 20 times that we wished we lived out "that way".

When we bought our home 7 years ago it was in a neighborhood surrounded by farmland and a lonely WallyWorld with a Golden Moo.  Literally -- farms with cows.  Now, it's surrounded on all sides with a Mall, two car dealerships, a Whole Foods, a Trader Joe's, a Chez Target, a plethora of fast food opportunities, 3 grocery stores, 3 wine boutiques, 2 cupcake shops, and did I mention the high rise apartment building?  Needless to say, we didn't imagine that the area, which had been stable for about 10 years, would EXPLODE.  We dream of a slightly simpler life.

Of course.  A simpler life is more expensive than the one we have, so we're instead working on the "being happy while living within our means" lifestyle that doesn't include moving to Charlottesville VA.

2 comments:

kat said...

Wow, that is a hell of a lot of change!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

A good friend of mine lives in Charlottesville and LOVES it.

I live in a very rural area and would LOVE to have a Whole Foods less than two hours from my house. And a Target less than an hour away. In our town, if WalMart or the dollar store don't have it, you ain't getting it.