1) The END of an ERA - B. has given up her nap. ~sigh~ I saw the signs last month, but suddenly this week we're really over it. She's napped once in 6 days. Bummer.
2) I'm not going to make my "run 12 miles" goal this week, and that really irks me. I should have said, "run 6 walk 6", but then the goal would have been doable and the one thing I do best is set REALLY high goals that I can't always achieve. Sure does make them that much better when you DO achieve them though.
3) Today I'm making a vegetarian dinner, because it's friday. But also because I'm reading so much literature about why too much meat is bad for you. When I say Literature, I guess what I'm really talking about is my Anatomy & Physiology text book. We should all be eating fish, nuts, beans instead of chickens, cows & pigs. And that's harsh coming from me because I'm a cow, pig, chicken lover, and no, I don't mean in the "save them all" PETA sense. I've found so many recipes though that I can't decide between chickpeas w/ pasta, tomatoes, basil and feta with a green salad on the side, Sweet Potato Pancakes aka - breakfast for dinner, or my own concoction of sauteed squash, garlic, topped with crushed tomatoes over whole wheat pasta. H is arguing for Cod Fish Cakes, which... seems to be meat, but the Catholics assure me that Cod is not meat as far as LENT is concerned. Hmmm. I guess it will all play out at the grocery store when I see the cost of Cod versus the cost of 1.5 pounds of sweet potatoes versus the cost of Feta & tomatoes.
4) Speaking of A&P class, which we weren't, let me for a moment laugh about my prof and his tough accent. I know he's a smart guy, but sometimes its funny to hear him say certain words. Wednesday night he was lecturing about "why americans awl a-fat" (his words, not mine, but...) and "how get skinny" as a "people". And one of the students in the class had a lot of questions about his opinion on the science behind getting thin, and his ultimate answer was (sitting?):
"Get skinny, ah, a-roose weight? You need to eat a-ress. Exah-cise is no as good, because it makes hungry. Eat ress at night, a-roose weight over night. Oh, also, eat ress lipids. So. Eat ress. Roose weight."
I hate to be like this, he's not a bad guy, but he is hard to understand. And he's right, the science behind eating less fat boils down to this: "To convert dietary fat to body fat, 3% of the energy from each gram is used, leaving 97% for storage. If two people eat the same number of calories, but one person's calories come from higher fat percentage, that person will likely weigh more." (g's A&P text book, page 953) I could tell you how many ATP's that gram of fat will produce, but, let's not go there....
5) I realize that I should have gone to medical school. Yes, nursing school makes me wish I was young enough to go to medical school. I'm not though. So. That's pretty much the end of that book. But still, every day that I spend learning about the human body and the mysteries within is a day that I want even more answers!
Happy Weekend, and HIGH FIVE to all those who are racing this weekend including, M.Kish, DeNiece, T., FC, and anyone else out there testing their limits!