Monday, February 15, 2010

speaking of Drug Pushers

Last week I randomly mentioned a race to a friend, and the next thing I knew she was talking about running it as a training run. During that conversation I sort of laughed that I had called her and offered her some crack. She's since come to her senses and just going to run my COME BACK RACE ... on 2/28, a 3Miler with a $5 race fee. My standards were low... But just to let you know, I've rescheduled my "return to racing", and this is actually a race I might be able to do "well in" (aka - finish without walking or re-injuring the IT Band/Knee/Hamstring).

Anyway, I think by now we're all aware of how much I "love" my Witch Dr. In fact, I could probably write a ridiculous Dr Suess Inspired Rhyme for him, except that at some point my husband is going to get jealous of this younger man and that is SO not the kind of drama I need in my life these days.... Did mention that I am, for the first time in my life, OLDER than my Dr? And did mention also that he calls me Ma'am. I'm obviously showing my age. I digress.

Still, every time I see my Iron Man Witch Dr we talk about my need to CROSS TRAIN and my LACK of interest in doing so, my hate for my Pink Schwinn, and my lack of pool. I finally said a few weeks ago that the best way to get me to cross train would be to set myself up for a public failure like signing up for a race....

So.

Armed with that tidbit of information he's pretty much all over me to sign up for a triathlon every time I go see him (twice a week). The 15-20 minutes we spend together is always a hash of what's up and which Triathlon he thinks is best for me. I feel like a kid in middle school being bombarded with PEER PRESSURE.

Did I mention that I wasn't very strong in the PEER PRESSURE department - well I guess that's not entirely true, I still never have smoked or dropped or snorted a drug, at this point I'd say I'm a little to old to start trying. Today, I mentioned to him that I'm really seriously considering it... a tri, not drugs, and Dr G did a little happy dance. By the time I was home from my appointment I had received an e-mail from him indicating that he'd e-mailed the race director, and included in that was a link directly to registration. Silliness.

Silliness too that for some reason the idea of swimming a few hundred meters, riding a bike ~gasp~ a few miles, and running a 5K is as scary to me as running a marathon. No really, you know how I got butterflies in my stomach every time I said or wrote the word Marathon for the 9 months leading up to the official start of training? That's exactly how I feel right now, and the two Tri's I'm considering are in JULY & AUGUST.

And finally - on other notes, I have been selected for a BLOG award - the Sunshine Award, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to regretfully decline. The thing is, I cannot choose 12 bloggers to pass the award to.... because most of the people I read have received the award and seriously, at school this week I have 2 tests and 18 pages of lab sheets (challenging stuff, fill in the blank) that are due (no really, 18 pages, not kidding)... I do not have time to write it up and link it together. I'm sorry. Truly sorry. I feel like a cad. But I thank Anne for the thought and I am really pleased deep down inside that she thought I deserved an award that is focused on bringing sunshine to someones life. So thanks Anne. Really.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am going to do a sprint tri... in the fall. We can train together... virtually.

Anne said...

Good job setting limits :) ...I just hope the sunshine brightened your day!

A tri!! You can do it! I'm loving your witch doctor...